Lancashire At War.co.uk
Exploring the hidden history of War sites in Lancashire
Blackpool WW2 Fire Service Map
Here is a map dating from World War Two which regular contributor, Euan, discovered and contacted us about. Our sincere gratitude goes to Lancashire Fire and Rescue Service for allowing permission to use this image. It remains their copyright and cannot be reproduced without their written permission.
These pages, all text and photographs, unless stated, are the copyright of The Brothers B. No reproduction is allowed in any form without prior written permission
Euan provides the following description: The map showing the disposition of Blackpool Fire Service and other ARP-related facilities including ‘Action’ Auxiliary Fire Service stations, staffed only during air raids. AFS personnel may have been deployed from the AFS HQ at the South Shore station, Bispham Road, as they were to other local stations.
The map is likely to be dated between 1938 and 1941. The AFS came into being as a result of the 1938 Fire Brigades Act. Blackpool Fire Service (Brigade), itself having become part of the Regional Fire Force in 1939, and the AFS were absorbed into the National Fire Service in August 1941.
“Shout” - A short history of the Blackpool Fire Brigade. Bonney, David J. (self-published)
It is interesting to see that the same symbols are used on the above map as on the Ramsbottom ERP WW2 Map that can be seen on this page HERE